Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Meaning Of Life

Yesterday, my 7yo son asked, "What is the meaning of life?"  I am not sure what inspired such a philosophical question from such a young kid.  At first I responded with a common response, "If I had the answer to that questions, I would be a wealthy man."  As much as I wanted to just reply with "living life to the fullest", I was not sure he would understand that and I was not about to give up a chance to give him a crumb of wisdom.  After some thought, I told him that there is no one meaning to life, but you will know them when you see them.  He seemed puzzled.  I went on to explain that sometimes you will realize you were meant to do something.  My example to him was the fact that I am his dad.  I didn't explain all of this to him, but when we first got the opportunity to raise Michael, I was not sure we were ready, but the very first day we cared for him as our own, I knew I was meant to be his dad....and I feel blessed to be his dad.  Being his father was part of my "Meaning of Life".  Though I didn't have elaborate with him further, I suppose some other "Meanings of Life" included marrying Melissa, caring for her while she was sick, playing music, and becoming a Redskins fan, to name just a few.  I am sure there are others that include friends and loved ones, but you get my drift.

Honestly, it is good question to ask yourself, from time to time.

What is the meaning of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment